Thursday, March 6, 2008

Only When I'm Picking Up a Sandwich for Paul...

So today I had my first "bad" experience with the JSC cafe when I went to go pick up sandwiches for me and Paul. I generally only go to the Deli and get a turkey sandwich on wheat with spicy mustard, provalone, bacon, and lettuce. Since this is how I verbally order the sandwich we can easily follow the progression of Deli mishaps.

The first thing the Deli worker says to me after I place my order is "no wheat." What? I can understand that wheat bread is probably the most common bread order they receive, but to be completely out? Go steal some from the building 3 cafe. So I reluctantly ask for white bread, because we all know rye is disgusting, and she proceeds to cut slices off of the loaf. While I applaud her commitment to go above and beyond when her cafe doesn't provide her with wheat and/or sliced bread, I must say she slices bread about as well as a lazy-eyed 4th grader. With palsy.

Now that the bread is taken care of she moves onto the next part of my order, the spicy mustard. She decided to go ahead and use the spreader that she had handy. But this was no ordinary spreader. This was the mayonaise-covered spreader of doom. There is a time and a place for mayonaise, namely in creating ranch dressing, but that place is not on my sandwich. I cringed and pressed on.

The first two events were really just inconveniences, but the next thing she did just angered me. What was next? That's right: provalone. She peels off the top of the provalone stack what can best be described as a nearly whole piece of cheese stuck to a half piece of cheese stuck to a smaller, maybe quater piece of cheese. She makes an effort to separate them, which I can understand, we don't need them running out of provalone as well as wheat, but she quickly gives up and goes to put it all on my sandwich (VICTORY!). The problem is I celebrated too early. As she puts the cheese mass on my sandwich, the smallest piece comes off. Now as I see it she has two logical options: 1) put the cheese back on my sandwich, or 2) put the cheese back into the original cheese pile. She chose option 3) throw it away. I was awestruck. She chose to throw away perfectly good cheese rather than leave it on my sandwich...

All of this would ONLY happen when I'm also picking up a sandwich for Paul. And of course, Paul's sandwich came fine except for the "too many sprigs of oregano."

THIS JUST IN:
Paul's oregano turned out to be cilantro...

No comments: